Ever seen a custom Jeep having a long pipe that sticks out over its hood? Do you ever wonder why a smoke stack would be installed on a jeep? That long pipe is known a snorkel set . We would help you clarify your thoughts as regards what it does and why you may need it on your 4×4 custom Jeep.
What Is A Snorkel Set?
It is a pipe-looking fixture that is run from the air intake just below the hood, and it extends above just close to the vehicle’s passenger side. You, but not off-roader, may think it looks odd on a vehicle. They know what value it could serve when off-roading in a dusty terrain or in areas having deep water crossings, thereby making it less vulnerable to ingesting water. The opening at the top of this accessory gets air into the custom jeep. If you want to install this accessory, ensure it is large enough to feed adequate air into the engine.
Why The Custom Jeep Need the Snorkel Set?
For 4×4 or off-roading enthusiasts, it helps their vehicles to get dry, clean, and cool air into their engine in their off-roading trips. It also helps increase a vehicle’s air intake. It can also help to prevent dirt or water from getting into the vehicle’s engine while off-roading in a dusty area or crossings having deep stream or river. When your vehicle gets cooler air, its horsepower, engine’s performance, and longevity will all improve. In other words, the snorkel set is just a modification for your 4×4 custom jeep, to protect it. As starters, you need to protect the electrical parts of your vehicle. Electronics such as gearbox, ignition switches, fans, power-distribution packs, etc. are not friendly with water; thus, they always need to be waterproof.
Note that you do not require this ‘long pipe’ to off-road; you only need it as modifications to improve your vehicle’s performance.
Benefits Of Installing A Snorkel Set
Installing this accessory on your custom jeep serves a unique purpose. While many starters feel it is an unnecessary accessory, off-road enthusiasts would not trade it for anything. Therefore, if you do much off-roading in areas that are wet and thus requires you to get across deep streams or rivers, you require this equipment.
You are left with the decision of deciding if you require this accessory for your custom jeep or not. However, if you want to prolong the life of your vehicle’s engine, it is your sure bet. You know how costly it might be to replace the engine in your custom jeep. Therefore, knowing its benefits can provide you with the tips that will help you in your decision-making process.
The Auxbeam model is the perfect fit for your custom Jeep Wrangler JK (2007-2011) having a 3.8l V6 engine. Made with flexible ABS plastic, it is UV resistant, and not easily cracked. You only require minor drilling/cutting on your vehicle’s body for mounting at the front right side of your jeep. It comes in a matte black color. It comes with the following benefits:
Maximum dust and water sealing
Reduction of engine damage hazards during deep water crossings
Lowers hydro-locking risks
Engine performance improvement
Airflow duct design that allows for clean and dry air into the engine
How To Install The Snorkel Set On The Custom Jeep
Before buying and installing this accessory to your custom jeep, you have to consider some certain features:
- Determine the rated wading depth of your vehicle. When water enters your engine, it may cause great damage. For instance, the Isuzu D-Max and Chevrolet Colorado have similar intake heights, but wading depths that are distinct. Vehicles that lack rated wading depth exposes the engine’s fluid reservoirs and electronics to water intrusion.
- Find the systems that are available for your vehicle. However, you can customize a snorkel set to suit your vehicle which does not have a ready-made snorkel set, even though this may be costly.
- Get the original. Cheap and unbranded snorkels may be similar but with less quality. The implication of this is less resistance to small impacts and UV damage.
- Determine your desired system: rammed or cyclone (also called vortex) type. This will determine power and fuel consumption.
- Be ready to make holes in your vehicle’s bodywork. A snorkel has to be bolted to your vehicle to allow free passage of the air tube through the fender. For an appropriate work, take it to an expert shop. Ensure the edges of the cut are rust-proof appropriately to avoid corrosion problems in the future.
After you have successfully observed the above tips or features, you are now ready to install a snorkel set on your jeep. Using the Redrock 4×4 model on Jeep Wrangler JK (2007-2011) having a 3.8l V6 engine, the tools and steps involved in the installation include the following:
10 mm socket and ratchet
T40 star bit
Drill and 1/8 drill bit
Dremel tool having metal Es 1 ¼ inch lock cutting blade
- Prepare and organize the tools you require. The installation starts with the body. Remove two bolts (10 mm) from the left fender, and two T40 bolts from the side pillar. Then remove factory air intake and finally attach the equipment.
- Locate the template middle point with the tape measure. Line up the center point of air intake section and template on snorkel set to measure air intake. Once it is aligned, attach the template to the hood bottom lip using painters tape.
- Crisp template edge in preparation for a cut. Use the Dremel tool to start cutting, following the template line. After this, remove the piece of the hood. Then place the bezel of the hood around the hole drill; each rivet spot should have 1/8 inch holes. Install holes through the holes, while also securing them.
- The installation is now complete. However, ensure you use silicone to the waterproof air intake. This is to prepare it against flooding. Enjoy your accessory.
If you are interested in off-road vehicle modification, please read on to know more.