Driving LED light bar is wildly used in enhancing visibility in the dark. LED off road lights have a quality light beam that clearly illuminates the road for longer distances than normal headlight bulbs. Additionally, they have enabled night transportation in all varieties of vehicles; from cars to trucks, off-road vehicles among others. Some people love to add LED light bar on their vehicle mainly because of the brightness. However, what factors that influence the brightness, let’s check below.
Factors to Consider When Choosing an LED Light Bar
The following are main features to think through while choosing a light bar:
- Brightness: The visibility in the dark is enhanced by the level of brightness of the beam. When choosing LED light bar, it is important to go for brightest ones. This ensures there is enough light whenever you’re driving.
- Beam pattern: The appearance of the light beam will depend on the lens used. The light reflections are done either by the projector or reflector lens. To ensure you obtain the best beam pattern light bars with projector lenses, which is able to concentrate and reflect light in different angles.
- Irradiation range: This is the distance that light covers. This includes the width and strength of the beam. This range depends on the type of lens used when focusing the beam. The desirable irradiation range is the one that focuses on a sharper beam and has longer distance coverage. In this case, consider projector LED off roads lights for ideal irradiation.
Reflector LED Light Bar VS Projector LED Light Bar
Many people want to know the best choice between reflectors and projector LED light bar. This can be done by considering the design that most effectively accomplishes the job of the LED off road lights. The choice should encompass one that offers the best experience for the driver as well as other road users.
For us to identify the winner between the two, we need to state the superiority features for the best LED off road lights. Below is detailed information regarding their features, disparities, and conclusion showing the best option of the LED light bar.
Reflector Light Bar
Since a long time ago, reflector LED light bar has been the most common regularly used LED off road lights on automobiles. They are designed using a bulb that is enclosed in a steel bowl filled with a mirror. The mirrors reflect light through an oval surface ensuring that enough light is available in various angles. This helps you to stay focused by directing you while driving.
Pros & Cons for Reflector Light Bars
- Reflector lights bars comprise of a simple design and are affordable. For this reason, many manufacturers making new cars today use them.
- They occupy less space when installed on a vehicle since they’re smaller than projector light bars.
- It is hard to regulate light output which to prevent light waste. This is because it focuses light beam in many different angles up or down, making it hard for the driver to see clearly.
- Majority of the reflectors use halogen light bulbs, which often emits lesser light than LED or HID. As a result, the pattern of the light beam contains several weak dark spots.
- The beam is not differentiable, due to uncertain cut-offs which may negatively affect the visual capabilities of other drivers on the road.
Projector LED Light Bar
These are newly developed types of LED off road lights in the industry. Initially, it was used by luxurious cars on headlights and later on, they became popular to all brands of vehicles. There is no huge difference between the Projector LED off road lights and reflectors ones. Although reflectors have a lens inside a mirror-reflecting cup design, projectors have a telescopic lens to upsurge the brightness of the beam produced.
It comprises of a cutoff shield that ensures the lights are reflected in appropriate angles. It helps in projection the light through the creation of sharp cutoff. In addition, they come with great benefits to the users. The light bars distribute evenly and don’t show any signs of dark spots. They are less likely to blind other people because the light bars are directed towards the road and focused more downward to prevent shining light at the driver’s eye level.
The low cutoff shield allows for projector lights to handle brighter bulbs such as HID or LED which improves the overall visibility and driving experience. Not to mention, projectors are physically visually more appealing than reflector lights too.
Pros & Cons for Projector Light Bars
- Projector light bars ensure even distribution of light and are considerably brighter light compared to standard reflector light bars, enhancing drivers’ visibility at night without dark spots.
- Differentiated low-beam cutoffs, which prevent other drivers in the road from being blinded. The distinctive cutoff enables the projectors to hold a brighter light bulb, known as High-Intensity Discharge (HID) bulb. The brighter the bulb is, the better the experience you have when driving at night.
- They have an awesome appearance due to light magnifying ability enhanced by the projector lens.
- In some instances, their narrow beam outputs are unpleasant for slow drivers. Nevertheless, this feature is desirable when racing or off-roading. It helps you drive at faster speeds and acquire higher visibility to estimate approaching objects and bends. According to what you prefer, you may view this as a disadvantage or advantage.
Comparison in Chart
The table below shows the Comparison between the two light bars according to their main features.
|Features||Reflector Light Bar||Projector LED Light Bar|
|Lenses||It uses a mirror-filled cup with a shiny inner surface for projection of light.||Has a curved lens that resembles a magnifying lens, useful in light projection.|
|Beam brightness and size||Less bright and a wider beam due to wasted and unfocused lights.||Brighter and narrower beam due to use of the magnifying lens.|
|Structure and design||It consists of a single bulb at the center of the multi-mirrored cup to reflect light as a wide beam.||It has a complex design consisting of a lens, LED bulb,
cut off shield and solenoid which works together to ensure there is a sharp bright beam.
|Cost||Cheap and affordable.||Expensive and luxurious.|
|Flexibility||Hard to control light output.||Easy to regulate light output.|
From the above comparison, it seems that the Projector LED off road lights is superior to the old school reflector light bars. To improve this disparity, Auxbeam has introduced a new model of reflector lights design known as Side Shooter LED light bar.
Side shooter light bar means the side of the light bar can also illuminate the light. There are different kinds of side shooter light bars. Some have side shooter on each side, others only have one side.
Auxbeam side shooter provides 8pcs high power LEDs on each side to give out bright light. This design aims to give a much broader beam on one side for the 4 inch and each side for the 32 inch, about 180 degree horizontal beam. Designed in a triple row, the 32 inch side shooter light bar has 2 huge heat sinks on each side as the flood beam. The light bar can give out wider and longer illumination distance with intensive brightness.
Why Choose This Type of Light Bars?
- It applies to distinct types of automobiles including lorries, military, Jeep lamp, heavy equipment, Off-road vehicles among others.
- Has a Waterproof housing that protects LEDs from harsh weather condition. The Diecast aluminum housing is anti-corrosive therefore increasing the durability.
- Has a long irradiation range than normal reflectors which uses a halogen bulb.
- It has great performance with high energy efficiency and stability.
From above reviews, it is clear that projector LED light bars are superior as compared to reflector light bars. This is due to their ability to handle an HID bulb, their appearance, among other distinctive features. In case you’re experiencing unpleasant lighting issues with your vehicle, now is the ideal time to equip it with this design of light bars which costs a little and say goodbye to the lighting problems. If you are interested in LED off road lights modifications, please read on to know more.